grilled Cabbage Wraps 😋
recipe by woon.heng
– 3 cups cooked rice (used glutinous rice)
– about 20-25 cabbage leaves
– 3/4 cup kale stems, finely chopped (or sub with broccoli stem)
– 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
– 1 small carrot, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
– oil for cooking, salt to taste
– Seasoning: 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari, pepper, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste
To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with oil, then sauté ginger until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook to remove moisture (if any). Add kale stems & continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
Transfer mixture to a bowl, then add carrots, cooked rice & mix well with seasoning ingredients.
Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking.
Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface, remove the harder vein, if needed. Add a heaping spoon of filling in the middle, fold in the sides & wrap to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Heat a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of oil, place cabbage wraps in, sealed side down. Cook until both sides are nicely browned, flipping in halfway. Set aside or serve as-is.
Sauce (👀 comment): Add the sauce ingredients to a pot or pan, then bring it to simmer & cook until thickened.
Drizzle sauce on the cabbage wraps & serve warm.